March 21, 2010

Hello Again

Until the advent of Facebook, I always assumed that once a friendship died there was no going back. At least not until the next reunion. Even with Facebook connections, I still carry that belief. What is "friendship," really?

I don't know ... Whatever ... Anyway ...

This weekend I swallowed my pride and took the initiative to rekindle the long dormant embers of a friendship that has been cold for too long. And as luck would have it, the library system welcomed me back with open arms, provided I show proof of residence.

After a mere 30 minutes of taking in that book-y smell and perusing the shelves and shelves of available fiction, I proudly exited the library with my head held high, two books nestled in my arm and a brand new library card attached to my key chain. What'll they think of next?

Apparently pride is quickly regurgitated.

Why did I take this long overdue step? It's essentially because I'm a gigantic nerd (not that only nerds own library cards, and not that there's anything wrong with being a nerd) and I spent several hours one night last week researching and compiling a spring/summer reading list for myself.

For some reason, I've been missing that piece of paper we used get at the end of the school year that had very intelligent-sounding literary suggestions. And then there were the various syllabi that literature majors are handed from term to term with even more intelligent-sounding explorations. And then there's my obsession with lists and words. And, as Debi can attest, lists of words.

So, now I have a list and a goal and a resource and all is right with the world.

Interested in comparing your nerdiness to mine? Here ya go:

  • The Things They Carried (O'Brien)
  • A Lesson Before Dying (Gaines)
  • Robinson Crusoe (Defoe)
  • Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row (J. Masters)
  • The Diary of Sam Pepys (Pepys)
  • Wide Sargasso Sea (Rhys)
  • The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (Dickens)
  • Love in the Time of Cholera (Garcia-Marquez)
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez)
  • Einstein's Dreams (Lightman)
  • Winnie the Pooh (Milne)
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bryson)
  • The Gone-away World (Harkaway)
  • Narrow Dog to Indian River (Darlington)
  • A Far Cry from Kensington (Spark)
  • The Four Corners of the Sky (Malone)
  • The School of Essential Ingredients (Bauermeister)
  • Dune (Herbert)
  • The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (Larsen)
  • The Servants' Quarters (Freed)
  • Road Dogs (Leonard)
  • Woodsburner (Pipkin, Talese)
  • A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Eggers)
  • Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Roach)
  • Pirate Latitudes (Crichton)
  • The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'd better get busy. i'm sending links to several people. they should get busy too.

-mom