November 17, 2008

Glad You're Not Me

I was in the orthodontist's waiting room, sitting just opposite two kids whose combined age probably equalled mine ... At the least, their total came very close.

They were clearly a couple, whispering plans for the afternoon and schedules for semester finals. Meanwhile, I was chatting very loudly with the office staff about the weather and the economy. When they glanced at me, I could totally read "Can you imagine being that old and having braces?" And I was fine with it. I get that look all the time.

After a moment or two of silent contemplation on both sides of the room, the doctor came in and said, "Miranda and Jody, you can come on back." And the boy's face went completely white with surprise ... Until he saw me stand up.

"Oh, man," he said to me, suddenly looking more comfortable in his chair. "My name is Joe! i didn't want to go back there!"

I said that I didn't blame him, and we all had a nice little laugh that bridged the generations.

No comments: