December 7, 2004

credit where credit is due

[the following poem is based on actual events. i'd like to thank mandy for being a constant source of inspiration and denise for her unswerving devotion to making things rhyme.]


christmas in the suburbs

a position of quiet dignity,
you travel to the ends each year and back.
your legend lingers through infinity;
devoted fans are nothing that you lack.


a tribute to you stands next door to mine.
they hung their christmas lights way back in june,
the neighbors are a clan of tacky swine.
who else around dec'rates with a spittoon?

your sculpture's meant to stand fully upright,
with head held high and proud above the sleigh.
alas! your eyes are low to a termite!
a pump with air your troubles would allay.

tol'rate such abuse you shouldn't hafta.
my heart goes out. oh, deflated santa!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great! I was put in a tough spot to help out with the rhyming - especially since I didn't know what I was helping with until reading the end result - but it was fun and definitely worth it!

Poor deflated Santa : (

Denise

Anonymous said...

...tacky swine ? i love that. good work, denise -- and mandy, it does make me wonder about the original inspiration...

-mom

Anonymous said...

Your poetic genius is quite impressive!!! Alas, I still remember our first attempt...the Spam Tribute poem. (For those of you who haven't read it, you must pester Jody to post it here!!!) And to think...we even entered that in the fair! Jody, this is one of your best yet! I can't drive past the neighbors house with their deflated Grinch without thinking of you and laughing out loud! (Then Lucas always asks me.....Mommy, what you laughin' at?? Someday he'll understand too!!) Keep 'em comin'!

Val